The first survey exhibition of the British artist and filmmaker Isaac Julien (*1960 in London) in Germany shows the breadth of a groundbreaking oeuvre from its emergence in the 1980s to the present. Julien's critical thinking, aimed above all at an intense examination of the culture and history of colonialism, is expressed in his early films as well as in the highly aesthetic film images of the major, internationally acclaimed film installations of the last 20 years.
Julien studied painting and film at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London, and in 1983 was involved in the founding of Sankofa, London, a film and video collective dedicated to making "black film culture" visible. Isaac Julien's films and installations have been shown at numerous international exhibitions. In 2002, he participated in Documenta 11 in the preparatory platform for "Creolization" in Santa Lucia and with the film installation "Paradise Omeros". From 2008 to 2015, Isaac Julien was a professor of film at the Staatliche Hochschule für Gestaltung Karlsruhe. In 2021, he was a jury member of the 37th Sundance Film Festival. In 2022 he was awarded the Goslar Kaiserring; in the same year he was appointed to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science (AMPAS), entrusted with the annual awarding of the Oscars. Isaac Julien lives and works in London.
The exhibition is created in cooperation with Tate Britain, London, where it was on view from April 27-August 20, 2023.
With the generous support of Victoria Miro.
Length of works on view:
1. who killed Colin Roach? 1983 - 34 min, 42 sec.
2. Territories 1984 - 24 min, 6 sec.
3. This Is Not An AIDS Advertisement 1987 - 10 min, 26 sec.
4. Lost Boundaries 1986 - 4 min, 14 sec.
5. Looking for Langston 1989 - 44 min, 26 sec.
6. Western Union: Small Boats 2007 - 8 min, 22 sec.
7. Ten Thousand Waves 2010 - 49 min, 41 sec.
8. Lessons of The Hour 2019 - 28 min, 46 sec.
9. Lina Bo Bardi - A Marvellous Entanglement 2019 - 39 min, 8 sec.
10. Once Again... (Statues Never Die) 2022 - 31 min, 34 sec.
Total Time: 4 hrs 35 mins 25 secs.This content has been machine translated.